Table of Contents
Introduction of Vastu Tips for Home
If you live in India then you must know about the word ‘Vastu‘. But if you do not know what Vastu is and how to follow the rules of Vastu while making a home then you shall read it. Since the beginning of human civilization, humans have cherished numerous elements of nature for their well-being.
Especially in India, all matters and elements of nature are worshipped largely. We worship water and fire, we worship thunder and air, we even worship trees and the sun, and similarly, we worship directions.
From the beginning of the Vedic era, numerous ‘shastras‘ has been written, and the ‘shastras’ has come down from generation to generation at first orally and later in written form.
In that era, the gurus used to look into various aspects of nature and learned many things. These things have passed down from generation to generation. Vastu is one of the studies relating to the directions that were conducted by the gurus then.
They learned that there are various factors and various elements in directions. To use these different elements for the good use of humans, these elements of nature needed to be balanced.
So they came up with Vastu shastra. The objectives of Vastu shastra are to create a balance and equilibrium in the elements of nature.
The rules and guidelines of Vastu shastra are very easy and simple and could be followed without any worries. And also according to the Vastu shastra if these rules are not followed then despair and sorrow may appear at your door.
In nature, there are five fundamental elements. These elements are the lunar energy of the moon, solar energy of the sun, energy of wind, energy of the earth’s magnetic field, and the energy of fire.
It is said that these five elements influence our life greatly. They bring both harmony and despair to the life of a person.
Many people say that Vastu is irrelevant to the present time as it is the twenty-first century we are living in and humans have made unimaginable growth in the field of science.
Some people further say that Vastu is full of superstitions but the truth is there are scientific explanations for the science of Vastu.
Vastu is rather a set of numerous principles that our ancestors put together for the betterment of our life. There are some beliefs that following Vastu shastra will bring more wealth and will create financial security, following Vastu makes relationships strong and creates new opportunities.
Vastu Tips Before House Construction
Following are the points to consider for Vastu while building a house.
- There are rules of construction according to Vastu from the beginning of the construction. When the digging starts for laying the foundation of the construction site, the digging should start from the east. The digging procedure may go from the east towards the north, from the north towards the west, and from the west toward the southwest side.
- The main door should be made on the eastern side of the construction. Building the door at the east symbolizes the coming of the sunlight into the house at the end of the night at the beginning of the morning. This symbolizes prosperity and good times may come to your house. The door can also be built on the northern and northeast sides of the house. If the main door of the house is on the southwest side then it is believed that the members of the house enjoy little peace and the atmosphere of the house is perpetually tense.
- If the main door is very large then it is said that the members of the house suffer ill health. It is considered to not build a door on the southwest side of the house. The doors should always open inwardly. This opening towards the inside symbolizes welcoming the guest and inviting positivity and happiness. According to the rules of Vastu, it is said that if the doors open outwards then that will make positive energy leave the house.
- The walls should be painted in a soft color according to the rules of Vastu. Using light colors gives you a feeling of soothing to the eyes. Deep yellow, orange, and red-colored walls will irritate the eyes of the visitor, according to Vastu.
- The resources of the house and water-related instruments should be situated on the northeast side of the house. Placing them in the northeast symbolizes prosperity.
- Outside the house, the presence of some trees like tulsi, banana, amla, Champa, and Ashoka, helps the members of the house to stay healthy and positive.
- There should be two gates in a house. One gate should be placed on the east. The other gate should be placed in the north direction.
- According to the rules of Vastu, the ground level in the southwest direction needs to be higher than any other side. The ground level should slope in the northeast direction.
- The position of roads, according to the Vastu rules, influences the life of the members of the house. It is believed that if a road exists on the eastern or northern side of a house then the health of the members of the house improves. They can make more progress. If a house has roads on three sides then it can affect the health of the people living in the house. They may suffer tension and stress. Scientifically, if there is a road there will be noise. If there are more roads there will be more noise. Noise influences the health of humans very much. So the position of roads is also an important factor.
- Before the construction takes place a bore well should be placed in the northeast direction. The space in the east and north should be more than the western and southern sides of the construction.
- The best position in the kitchen as per the rules of Vastu is in the southeast direction. Northwest is also a good direction for the kitchen to be placed but the kitchen should never be placed in the northeast direction.
- For underground callers, the best direction is on the northeast or eastern side of the complex.
- Parking places for cars, bikes, cycles, and scooters should be in the northeast direction.
- The equipment of ac should be placed in the southeast direction of the house. Under any circumstances, the ac equipment should never be placed in the northeast direction.
- The best direction for placing the wash basin is in the north direction or east direction. The wash basin can be placed in the northeast direction also.
- In the west direction of the house or building, two rooms should not be made. It is regarded as inauspicious to build two rooms in the western direction.
- Rooms in the south direction and the west direction should be made heavier as per the rules of Vastu.
- For newly married couples the bedroom needs to be built in the north and northwest directions of the house.
- If the house has an oil storage room in the east or southwest area or the area in between, a peaceful and pleasant environment will remain.
- The best place for building the study room is the western side of the building.
Vastu Tips for Different Locations of House
Below some tips are given for making a home. While making a home we need to place different rooms in different directions. There are many rules for the positioning of each type of room.
1. Vastu Tips for Kitchen
The kitchen is the room in our house where food is cooked. A kitchen is a type of place where a lot of smoke is expected and airflow is expected.
So there are certain rules regarding the direction of the kitchen which will make the kitchen run better and more efficiently. The best position for a kitchen is in the southeast direction.
The southeast direction is perfect for a kitchen to be. As people usually cook in the morning hours of the day, placing the kitchen on the southeast side will let in more sunlight and airflow to the kitchen. The second most perfect place for making the kitchen is the east direction or the south direction.
East and south both are good directions for placing a kitchen as the availability of light and airflow throughout the day.
If placing the kitchen is not possible in the southeast then the kitchen must be placed either in the south direction or in the east direction. A kitchen must not be placed in any other direction.
North, west, northwest, and southwest, all these directions are bad for placing the kitchen. So placing the kitchen on the north side, west side, northwest side, and southwest side is regarded as inauspicious.
Then comes the prohibition. Making the kitchen in the northeast direction is strongly prohibited according to the rules of Vastu.
2. Vastu Tips for Staircase
We all know that the staircase is a room where the stairs are located. But people do not know the right location for positioning the stairs. As per the Vastu rules, the best location for the staircase is the southwest direction.
It is said that the southwest direction is the perfect place for placing the stairs. If making the staircase in the southwest is not possible then the staircase can be made in four directions.
These four directions are south, west, northwest, and southeast. Making the staircase in these four directions is not very good but not bad either. It is simply ok. Making the staircase in the north and east directions is strictly prohibited.
One should not make the staircase on the north and east side. Placing the staircase in these two directions is regarded as inauspicious. Lastly, the staircase must not be positioned in the northeast direction.
According to the Vastu rules, the staircase should never be in the northwest direction. It will give rise to problems and disharmony in the house. Also making the stairs in the northwest can lead to accidents.
3. Vastu Tips for Toilet
The best direction for the toilet to be is in the direction of the northwest. According to Vastu rules, if the toilet is built on the northwest side, the same side where building the staircase is strongly prohibited is the best place for building the toilet.
The toilet is the place of peace. So making the toilet according to the Vastu rules will bring peace during the excretion hours.
It is said that excreting properly makes us work efficiently throughout the day. Not excreting properly will make you feel uncomfortable and reduce your efficiency. Making the toilet in the northwest direction will help to excrete properly.
These are said according to Vastu rules so one may or may not believe these things but these are as said in Vastu Shastras. If making the toilet is not possible on the northwest side then the toilet can be made in three directions.
The three directions are south, west, and southeast. Making the toilet in these three directions may not be the best idea but it is regarded as good. The north direction is regarded as ok for making the toilet.
That means that making the toilet on the north side is not good but is not bad either. Making the toilet in the east and southwest direction is strongly prohibited according to the rules of Vastu.
4. Vastu Tips for Boring or U-Ground Tank
The northeast side is the best side for making the boring or u-ground tank. According to the rules of Vastu, one should make a boring or u-ground tank on the northeast side.
There are two second-most perfect directions for making the boring or u-ground tank. These two directions are north and east.
If making the boring or u-ground tank is not possible on the northeast side, one can consider making the boring or u-ground tank either in the north direction or in the east direction. Making the boring or u-ground tank in both directions is equally good.
Making the boring or u-ground tank in any of the South, west, northwest, and southeast directions are prohibited according to the rules of Vastu.
Making the u-ground tank in the southwest direction is strictly prohibited. It is recommended not to build the boring or u-ground tank on the southwest side. It is unholy and inauspicious.
5. Vastu Tips for Temple
Every home must have a temple in it. A temple is a place where we place the idols of gods and worship them. The position of a temple in a house is also a matter of Vastu.
The perfect direction to build the temple part of the house is the northeast. According to Vastu rules, the temple should be built on the northeast side of a house. It is the best direction to place the idol of gods and worship them.
If building the temple is not possible on the northeast side for some reason, there are other places where it is good to build the temple. A temple can be built in the north, east, west, northwest, and southeast.
All these five directions are good directions for making the temple. A temple is a holy place perhaps the holiest place in the house so while building the temple part of the house these Vastu rules should be followed.
The temple should not be built on the south and southwest side. It is said to be unholy to build temples in these two directions.
6. Vastu Tips for Overhead Tank
The best direction for making the overhead tank is the west direction. According to the Vastu rules, the overhead tank should be made on the western side of the house.
If making the overhead tank is not possible on the west side somehow then consider building the overhead tank either on the south or on the southwest side of the house. An overhead tank should not be built on the north, east, northeast, and northwest sides.
7. Vastu Tips for Master Bedroom
The best place to build the master bedroom is southwest. The southwest side is best also because it will let in light throughout the day and the wind flow will be good.
It is believed that if the master bedroom is built on the southwestern side of the house then it will bring peace and prosperity to the house. According to the rules of Vastu, the best position for making the master bedroom is the southwest direction.
The southeast, west, and south direction is also good for building the master bedroom there. Building the master bedroom on the north side is not that good but it is not that bad also.
The north side is ok for building the master bedroom. It is considered bad and prohibited to make the master bedroom on the east, northeast, and northwest side of the house.
8. Vastu Tips for Kids Room
A separate room for kids is called a kids room. The kid’s room can be built on the south, east, west, northwest, and southwest side of a house.
Building the kid’s room on the north side, northeast side, and southwest side is regarded as bad. According to Vastu rules, the kid’s room should be built on five sides only which are mentioned previously.
9. Vastu Tips for Guest Room
The best direction in which the guest room should be built is the direction of northwest. According to the rules of Vastu, the perfect place for the guest to stay is on the northwest side.
North, east, west, and southeast, these four directions are equally considered good for building the guest room. South, north, east, and northwest sides are considered bad for positioning the guest house. It is recommended not to build a guest house there.
10. Vastu Tips for Living Room
Northwest is the most suitable direction for building the living room if Vastu rules are followed. A living room can be built also in the direction of north, east, west, northwest, and southeast.
According to the rules of Vastu a living room should not be built in the South and Southwest directions of the house.
Scientific Facts of Vastu Location of Rooms
Translated into science of directions. The science behind Vastu explains everything. The locations of various rooms as per Vastu rules can be explained by science. Vastu instructed us to build the kitchen in the southeast direction.
The simple explanation for this is when the kitchen is located in the southeast direction, the kitchen is unlikely to catch fire because of the wind flow throughout the year.
Making the kitchen in the northeast direction is strongly prohibited because if the kitchen is made on the northeast side then the kitchen becomes prone to catch fire.
It is said in the Vastu to make the main entrance on the north or the northeast side. The scientific explanation behind this rule is that the sun rises in the east.
So if the main door is located in the east that will let sunlight in during the morning. Whether it is summer or winter, the morning sunlight influences our health and mind.
In shastra, the sun is regarded as pious and so the sun is worshiped in many ways. Also according to science, the morning sunlight is ideal for our skin to absorb.
By absorbing sunlight our human body produces vitamin D in it. But the sunlight in the noon or the afternoon harms our skin.
So placing the main door at the east will surely make our health better and along with our health, it will give our minds the relaxation and peace it deserves.
As per the Vastu rules, it is instructed to make the balcony either in the north direction or in the east direction. Making the balcony in the north or east also has scientific explanations behind it.
The purpose of making a balcony is to get proper ventilation and some open space where the members of the house can enjoy some natural wind.
Therefore having the balcony in the east or north direction is ideal. The residents of the home will get a very good natural ventilation system.
The positioning of the living room is said to be in the center of the house. There is a scientific explanation for this rule also. The members of the room desire some positive energy when they sit in the living room with the family members.
So if the living room will be placed in the center of the house there will not be excessive light but the room will not be dark either. The light remains balanced.
Also if the living room is in the center of the house then it will be easier to enter the living room from any other room in the house.