Table of Contents
What Is Hail Damage?
In simple words, Hail can be defined as a crystallized piece of snow. Many a time hail is confused with the ice pellets, but that’s often not the case. Ice pallets are generally solid precipitation of particles less than 5mm, which are generally spherical and circular, but rarely conical in shape.
Ice pallets are generally formed as raindrops fall through the cold air. The raindrops as they fall through cold air and clouds, soon lose their temperature and come in Sub-zero temperature.
As they come in Subzero temperature, a thin layer of ice is formed converting the liquid raindrops. Many a time, while falling through the air, a fall in temperature might be witnessed, thus again converting the ice pallets into raindrops.
The size of ice pallets is far smaller than the size of hail, so it does not damage any roofs while falling. Many times, while falling through the thin layer of ice is again broken and again reverts to its original form, that it was liquid rainwater.
Thus it can be said that hail is generally formed by keeping a lot of ice pallets together. The formation of hail can be generally witnessed in cold regions. In that region and all other regions as well, the air temperature rises as the height gets increased.
Thus, the temperature of the air at a higher place is larger than the temperature of the air at a lower place, keeping the geotechnical coordinates these ame. As per the concept of transpiration, the warmer air gets upward, while the colder air gets downward.
So, the process starts from the evaporation of water due to continuous heat. As the water evaporates from the surface sources, it gets stored up in the lower layer of air, which is warmer.
Due to the up drift of warmer air (meaning warmer air gets higher), the rainwater stored in the lower layer of air gets upwards. As the temperature of the upper air, is much below the lower air, the raindrops generally fall below Sub-zero temperature and form thin ice.
As the weight of the ice is greater than the raindrop itself, it falls in the lower layer of air. As it falls in the lower layer of air, it generally melts into raindrops again.
Hails are generally the pieces of solidified raindrops, formed through the cycle of transpiration and evaporation, and have a size bigger than 5 millimeters.
How to Inspect a Hail Damage in Wooden Roof?
Inspect a Hail Damage in Wooden Roof
- Wooden roof inspections are necessary to determine the impact of hail damage on it- At first, we have to replace, if any shingle is damaged and if we see major damage on the wooden roof then we should be replaced the whole roof to avoid the future incidents.
- We can clearly say that it is hailstone damage if we find the wooden shingles of the roofs are puncture or split. And by the following hail storm, we can see the clear impact mark on the wooden roof.
- Another way is, a bright unoxidized color we can see running along with the split, and on the other hand, if the shingles are puncture then the under the layer of wooden shingles are wet.
- But on shingles after seeing a hail mark, if the wood is only gouged or dented than split or punctured, after all this then your roof can not be replaced or repaired and it survived more against hail storm. The shake surface will retain its ability and moisture resistance properties to protect your home.
Types and Hail Effects on Roof
The Hail can affect the roof in many different ways, which generally depends upon the type of roof, and also on the basic construction materials which are used for constructing the roof.
So to discuss hail damage on roofs, Type of roof, and its basic construction material; how does hail damages that roof, needs to be discussed:
1. Wooden Roof
As already mentioned in the name, the primary construction material used for constructing this roof is wood. Although at a previous stage, bare wood was used for construction, but at the modern age due to many technological innovations, wood with less moisture (or in other words timber) is used.
Generally, a sloping roof, which has a slope larger than 10°, is constructed using this material. Although due to the popularity of different long-lasting, user-friendly materials, the choice of wood as a construction material is reduced to a great extent, still people in cold regions, or where inadequate topographical climate prevails, use wood as a basic construction material.
Hail can damage the roof to a large extent, some of the points are mentioned below:
- Hail can damage the wooden roof, creating holes in many places. The damage on the roof generally depends upon the size of the hail. ALargerhail can cause a pot of damage to the roof, while a smaller hail can incur lesser damages. Thus the size of the hole formed due to the impact of the hail also depends upon the size & the weight of the damage. If the roof did not sustain the impact due to the sudden dropping of the hail on the rooftop, different sizes of holes may be created.
- Hail can damage the rain gutters, rainwater pipes fixed on the rooftop. Due to the sudden impact, dents might be created on the rooftop thus disrupting the smooth drainage of water from the roof. Also, the size of dents formed due to hail damage depends upon the size of the hail itself. Larger hail can incur bigger dents, while smaller hail damages the rain gutters less.
- Apart from the roof, the hail can incur damage to the building itself. Damages of windows, dents forming on windows as well as indoor shutters, damages on window glass can be witnessed due to the impacts of hail. Although wooden houses are extent now, it is advisable not to construct a wooden house, in the snowfalls region, or where higher hail fall region, as hails are most detrimental to the wooden roofs.
2. Steel Roof
The damage of hails on steel roofs can be quite large as in the wooden roof. As mentioned in the name, steel roofs are primarily made from steel. Although very rarely used nowadays, steel roofs were used extensively in the past especially in the area of Europe.
Steel roofs are generally constructed having steel angles of different sections as a base, and providing steel sheets over it. Generally, sloping roofs are constructed with this construction material.
Hail can cause severe damage to a roof. Some of the damages caused by hails are as below:
- One of the major damages that hail can do on a steel roof is dents.
- As steels have very high flexural as well as structural strength, hails generally does not leave holes like wooden roofs, but it causes severe dents on the rooftop.
- To repair this dent, one has to spend more money or replace that dented steel sheet with new steel sheets, which also incurs additional costs.
- Like the wooden roof, Hail can cause severe damages to the rain gutters and rainwater pipes that are placed on the rooftop. Dents may be formed on the roof gutters, which will disrupt the flow of rainwater as well.
- To repair the dents, one needs to replace the rain gutters sections, which incurs additional costs. Another process of repairing it is to hammer it, but it can also happen to get de-shaped.
3. Asphalt Treated Roof
Although there is not much damage on Asphalt Treated roofs as well as in membrane proof roofs, but there are slight chances that a roof may get the damaged dye to the sudden impacts from Hail drops.
Generally, Asphalt treated roofs are concrete roofs having a layer of Asphalt sheeting over them. This Asphalt sheet is used to protect the roof from the adverse effects of water.
The damages due to hail may be described in the following:
- The hails may damage the Asphalt sheeting as a whole. Due to the sudden impacts of large-sized hail, the Asphalt sheeting may get ripped apart, thus causing damage to the roof. I’m an adverse effect, the waterproofing of the roof might get disrupted as well. To repair that, one needs to replace the damaged Asphalt sheets, which will incur additional costs as well. Thus, if the Asphalt treatment is done on the roof, it must be ensured that Asphalt sheeting does not get damaged to sudden impact from Hail.
- The damage of rainwater pipes is also common in this type of roof as well. One needs to replace that certain section of rainwater pipe if it gets damaged due to hail.
- Another major damage of hails can be seen in the inhabitants of the building. Due to the sudden impact of the hails, there may be physiological or neural damage to the inhabitants of the building.
- The fear factor of hail drops might also work in the mind of the inhabitants. Thus, it is advisable not to let heart-affected patients live in the house prone to hail dropping.
What to Do If Your Roof Is Damaged from Hail?
When you see or discover the fail damage on your wooden roof, at first, we have to determine how much damage occurs there. If we can see there only one or two roof shingles or shakes are punctured or split, we can remove or replace the shingles with a new one.
For this job you can hire a local contractor, he or she can easily handle this problem. If you inspect your roof and find that most of the shingles or shakes are damaged then you have to replace the whole roof.
Can Snow Harm a Wood Shake Shingle Roof?
If you do not have an effective drainage system on your roof then YES the regular snow surely harms your wooden roof.
To avoid this incident, we have to provide an effective drainage system on our roof so that the snow can easily slide down or melt from your roof and through your gutter flow to the ground.
If it is not happening then the store snow on the roof can increase the stress on your roof and it also can harm your wooden roof.
What If I Need to Replace a Hail Damaged Roof?
When the time comes to replace your wood shingles or shakes roof that is damaged by hail or any other things then you can call a local contractor of your area.
At first, you have to the experience level of the contractor beforehand over the job to him or her. After knowing all things, you can hire a contractor for your home roof replacement.