Table of Contents
Introduction of Roof Covering Material
A roof may be defined as the upmost part of the structure. A roof is a top covering of a structure, including all accoutrements and constructions necessary to support it on the walls of the structure or on uprights, furnishing protection against rain, snow, sun, axes of temperature, and wind. A roof is part of the structure envelope.
Principally, a roof consists of structural rudiments that support the roof covering. Roof and roof covering admit rain and snow more directly and in a lesser volume than do the walls. A roof must have thermal sequestration, fire resistance and sound sequestration.
What is Roof Covering?
Roof covering is used by home inspectors and presumably others in the construction assiduity. The roof covering doesn’t partake the cargo in the structure. The roof covering must have acceptable strength and stability.
It’s strictly ﬁxed to the rooﬁng structure with colourful types of ﬁttings and institutions—the colourful types of roof covering accoutrements available in requests in different sizes and shapes.
Different Types of Roof Covering
The roof requires a cover to protect the house from adverse goods of the environment. There are several different types of roofs with pictures materials.
- Solar shingles
- Wood shingles
- Asbestos cement sheet
- Galvanized corrugated iron sheet
- Lightweight roofing
1. Roof CoveringMaterial: Thatch
Thatch is one of the cheapest types of roof covering accoutrements. The construction procedure of the thatch roof covering is truly simple.
Generally, the thatch is used in pastoral areas for the construction of a truly low-cost house. The frame for supporting the thatch consists of round bamboo rafters spaced at 300 mm incremental. Also, split bamboos are placed over the rafters and bind them together. The divergence bamboos are always laid at a right angle.
The rafters may be made of rustic bullies. Thatch is initially tight secured to this frame with the help of lines or ropes. Thatch may be used directly over the frame in the form of packets, each pack being laid lapped sideways over each other.
The thatch sheathing should be at least 150 mm thick. It should have a pitch of at least 45 for the proper flux down of rainwater. These types of roof covering paraphernalia are truly inflammable. Therefore some fire defying results may be applied after it has been laid over the roof.
Advantages of Thatch Roof
- Thatched roofs give excellent sequestration.
- Thatched roofs are generally veritably durable and long-lasting.
- Thatch is one of the most environmentally pleasant accoutrements used for a roof.
- Thatched roofs also progress veritably well and will shape into natural forms.
Disadvantages of Thatch Roof
- Thatched roofs keep to regular conservation is needed. The quantum of conservation demanded will depend on the accoutrements.
- Thatched roof is advanced Insurance because of the advanced threat of fire damage.
2. Roof CoveringMaterial: Tiles
Tiles have been used as a roof sheathing material. Tiles are known in a variety of shapes, sizes, and specifications. The tiles are called according to their shapes and sizes and also the region in which they’re manufactured.
Following are the tiles classified to their shapes,
2.1 Plain Tiles
Plain tiles are also understood as flat tiles, are manufactured in blockish shapes. They’re generally 250 × 150 mm to 280 × 180 mm in size; the consistency of these types of tiles varies from 9 mm to 15 mm.
2.2 Curved Pan Tiles
Twisted visage tiles are the types of pipe that are used as a roof covering accoutrements. Twisted visage tiles are stronger, durable, and heavier than pot tiles. But they’re less twisted than pot tiles.
Generally, the sizes of these types of tiles are around 30 to 35 cm long and around 20 to 25 cm wide. Before laying tiles as a roof covering accoutrements, it’s necessary to do a certain quantum of the root.
Advantages of Tile Roofs
- Roof tiles are relatively a sight to see. They can transfigure a house into an awful masterpiece with the beauty they give.
- Roof tiles have a long life expectancy.
- Pipe roofs offer protection against nonentity boring and rotting, which also helps to promote.
- Pipe roofs are made from a fire-resistant material.
Disadvantages of Tile Roofs
- Tiles roofs have a delicate. It isn’t recommended to walk on the pipe due to the possibility of it breaking.
- The pipe is known to be heavy. This is a major debit of getting a pipe roof.
- Tiles roofs needed conservation.
- One of the biggest problems with pipe roofs is the underlayment paper and the proper ventilation.
3. Roof Coveringmaterial: Solar Roof Tiles or Solar Shingles
Solar roof tiles are known as solar shingles, aren’t only used as a roofing material but also generate electricity. Solar roof tiles or solar shingles are photovoltaic modules, and it produces electricity by landing sun. These tiles are commercially available in the request.
Usually, the price depends on the manufacturing company, specification, Installation, and also region.
Advantages of Solar Shingles
- They look like regular shingles and come in numerous sizes and styles; they can round nearly any structure scenery.
- They exclude the need for a large installation area that traditional solar panels bear.
- Installation is simple and hassle-free.
- They can be combined with traditional shingles to cover large or complex roofs.
Disadvantages of Solar Shingles
- Solar shingles cannot store energy, and also they won’t give power at night or during storms.
- The roof may be at the correct angle for the shingles to catch the sun.
- There must be sufficient face area to install solar shingles to collect enough light to produce electricity.
4. Roof CoveringMaterial: Wood Shingles
Wood shingles are a thin timber board around 1 cm thick. They are generally thick in shape. The length and breadth of this board vary from 30 to 40 cm and6.5 cm to 25 cm singly. Shingles are not common paraphernalia for the roof covering as they are liable to decay or crack under the atmospheric goods.
This type of roof covering paraphernalia is mainly used in place of ducts or swaths and where it’s available in a wide range.
Advantages of Wood Shingles
- This type of roof covers visually appealing roof styles.
- Wood shingles have continuity and energy effectiveness.
- Advantage of wood shingles resistant to severe storms.
Disadvantages of Wood Shingles
- One of the disadvantages of wood shingles needed regular conservation.
- Wood shingles have been brought effectively.
5. Roof Coveringmaterial: Asbestos Cement Sheets
Asbestos cement sheets are another type of roof covering material and are considerably used for the canted roof. It consists of an amalgamation of cement and pulverized asbestos. This amalgamation is ultimately converted into a thin distance or ducts, and it’s well known as asbestos cement sheets or A. C sheets.
Asbestos cement distance has many advantages analogous as light in weight, durable, fire-resistant, etc. It’s cheap and impervious, not susceptible to decay or eaten away by insects. There are mainly two kinds of A. C sheets that are available in the request. One is the’ Big six type,’ and the other is ‘Trafford.’
Asbestos sheets are available in different lengths varying from1.5 to 3m.
Advantages of Asbestos Cement Sheets
- Asbestos cement sheets are a veritably good thermal insulator and increase the energy effectiveness of the structure.
- It’s largely resistant to fire and doesn’t burn fluently.
- It formed a veritably strong material when mixed with cement and was used as a cumulative to form a compound material called asbestos cement.
- It’s a veritably affordable and veritably cost-effective material, hence extensively used.
- It’s considerably used as a defensive roofing material in corrugated form.
- It’s largely durable and rainfall evidence. It’s resistant to damage from termites.
- Asbestos cement sheets are veritably easy to clean and maintain but delicate to repair.
Disadvantages of Asbestos Cement Sheets
- The major disadvantage of utilizing asbestos is that it’s seriously dangerous to health.
- Due to this major disadvantage, new accouterments are being manufactured as a relief to asbestos.
6. Roof Coveringmaterial: Galvanized Corrugated Iron
Corrugated GI sheets are used for the roof coverings of shops, manufactories, and temporary shanties. GI sheets are available in colorful sizes. Generally, 22 hand sheets are used. The end-stage of 15 cm and the side stage of two corrugations are handed at the time of ﬁxing the GI sheets at the top of the roof. It’s light and simple to ﬁx.
The only disadvantage with the use of these sheets for roof covering is that during the summer season, the apartments under the roof are hotted too important. To cover against the sun, occasionally, subcastes of ordinary up are handed at the top of GI sheeting.
Advantages of Galvanized Corrugated Roofing Sheets
- One of the benefits of galvanized corrugated iron sheets is more durable.
- Galvanized corrugated roofing sheets also do not rot.
- Galvanized corrugated iron sheets are usually chemically treated as well, and that prevents the growth of algae even during heavy rainfall.
- Galvanized corrugated iron sheets are also resistant to fire.
- Galvanized corrugated sheets are easy to Installation.
Disadvantages of Galvanized Corrugated Roofing Sheets
- Denting, few bumping, and bruising are some of the typical issues that are hard to avoid with corrugated metal sheets.
- The expense for Building is a bit on the higher side though the low supervision cost compensates that in the long run.
7. Roof Coveringmaterial: Lightweight Roofing
Lightweight roofing is one of the types of roofing accoutrements. For wide-span artificial structures, it’s desirable to reduce the weight of the roof so that structural architecture can be spared. Conventional roofing accoutrements (similar to tiles, slates, etc.) are heavy and bear heavy architecture to support them.
Following are the lightweight roofing accouterments are of two type.
- Aluminum sheets
- Asbestos cement sheets.
- Wood hair
- Straw board
- Aluminum and sword decking.
Advantages of Lightweight Roofing
- Lightweight roofing has cost savings in budget and materials.
- The potential to adapt roofing without having to vacate the property.
- Lightweight roofing reduced installation times, with less potential disruption to property owners and neighbours.
- Lightweight roofing has increased durability and extreme weather performance.
- Lightweight roofing has an advantage of environmental benefits too, which include the reduction in carbon emissions through massively more efficient transportation costs.
Conclusion of Roofing Material
The roof cover should be kept clear of leaves, accumulated dirt, etc. Metal roofing can provide a home with the look of any other common roofing material. A roof must have thermal sequestration, fire resistance, and sound sequestration the various types of materials general in the markets in different shapes and sizes.