Table of Contents
Introduction of RCC ( Reinforced Cement Concrete)
- Concrete is a versatile material that is widely used for the construction of structures. RCC’s full form is Reinforced cement concrete.
- RCC meaning in civil engineering is a composite material that consists of steel and concrete ( which is a mixture of cement sand and aggregate) and is known as reinforced cement concrete.
- In this article, you will get to know all about RCC Construction and the Advantages and Disadvantages of Reinforced cement concrete.
What Is RCC?
RCC’s full form is Reinforced cement concrete. It is a composite material that is the combination of ordinary concrete with reinforcement to increase the compressive strength and tensile strength of the concrete.
RCC concrete is widely used in the construction of structures from foundations to the roof, the construction of highways and irrigation canals, etc.
Concrete is very good in compression but it is weak in tension that’s why the reinforcement is provided in the concrete wherever tensile stress is more.
Reinforcement resists the tensile stress of the concrete and increases the tensile strength. Steel is provided in the concrete because of its high tensile strength and good bonding with concrete.
The Steel should have good tensile strength and a high modulus of elasticity. It should have the same temperature as the coefficient of expansion and contraction so that there should not be thermal stresses should be developed in concrete.
Materials Which Are Used in the RCC (Reinforced Cement Concrete):
Cement is a Binder which is a powder mixture of different compounds that sets and hardens and binds other materials with each other
Portland cement is one of the most common types of cement which is generally used all over the world for construction.
There are two types of aggregates are used in reinforced cement concrete. The fine aggregates and coarse aggregate.
The different pictures are added to the RCC to improve its physical properties. Admixtures are added to the concrete to alter its properties such as workability and setting time.
The steel is generally provided in the form of round bars with different diameters. The commonly used Steel in construction is mild steel.
Water is one of the most important elements in the construction and preparation of RCC concrete. The quality of the water which is used in the manufacturing of concrete directly affects its strength and the quality of the work.
Advantages of Reinforced Cement Concrete:
There are various advantages of reinforcement concrete as follows
- RCC has high compressive strength.
- It has a long period of life and required low maintenance costs.
- Reinforced cement concrete has better resistance to fire as compared to Steel.
- RCC Structures are more durable as compared to other types of Structures.
- RCC sections can be cast into different shapes and sizes.
- RCC is a cheaper construction Material as compared to steel and Prestressed concrete.
- The Construction of reinforced cement concrete required less-skilled labor as compared to the Construction of steel structures.
Disadvantages of Reinforced Cement Concrete:
There are also some limitations of Reinforced cement concrete which are as follows:
- The Reinforced cement concrete required proper mixing and casting of the concrete.
- The cost required for formwork is high.
- Reinforced cement concrete structures are heavier than structures that are made from steel and wood.
- The structures which are made from rain cement concrete take some time to attain their full strength.
- The tensile strength of reinforced cement concrete is about one-tenth of its compressive strength.
Properties of RCC (Reinforced Cement Concrete):
Here are the different properties of reinforced cement concrete are as follows:
- Reinforced cement concrete should not show excessive deflection.
- Reinforced cement concrete is capable of resisting tensile as well as compressive bending and shear forces.
- Reinforced cement concrete is more durable as compared to other types of construction material.
- Reinforced cement concrete structures are designed to take high compressive loads.
- Reinforced cement concrete is a good fire-resistant material.
- It provides complete insulation against heat and sound.
- Reinforced cement concrete can be molded into any desired shape as per your requirement.
- It is a building that is constructed with reinforced cement concrete. The RCC building is a structural building that is constructed with reinforced cement concrete.
- The main reason for reinforcing concrete with Steel is to enhance its strength. The steel and concrete have nearly the same values of coefficient of thermal expansion which allow the steel and concrete in the structural members to act as a whole.
What Does RCC Stand for?
- RCC stands for Reinforced Cement Concrete. The full form of RCC is reinforced cement concrete which contains steel bars.
- RCC has been widely used in the construction of various structures and buildings components such as footing beams columns and slabs etc.