Table of Contents
What Is Folded Plate?
When assemblies of flat plates are rigidly connected together with each other along their edges, such setup is known as Folded Plate.
The first Roof which was constructed using folded structure was prepared by the engineer eudene Freyssinet in 1923 as an aircraft hangar at Orly airport in Paris.
Folded Plate Structure:
- Folded Plate Structure is those structures where flat plates or slabs are assembled in different directions and are joined together along their longitudinal edges.
- In Folded Plate Structure the structural system does not need additional supporting beams along mutual edges and is capable of carrying loads without supporting beams.
- The technique of Folded Plate Structure has originated in Germany in the 1920s. Later this technique of Folded Plate Structure became popular in Russia and The United States during the 1930s for the construction purpose of roofs of Industrial warehouses and public buildings.
- Now a day’s Folded Plate Structure is generally made up of Cast in Situ, precast reinforced concrete, or steel plates.
- Folded Plate Structure has many benefits for construction purposes.
- Firstly, the plates or slabs that are used in Folded Plate Structures are simpler to manufacture than other shells like cylindrical shells.
- Secondly, the framework requirement for Folded Plate Structures is relatively simple than other structures.
- Thirdly, fewer materials are required for the construction purpose of Folded Plate Structures; however they take more materials than curved shells if there are more bending requirements involved in the construction.
- Finally, Folded Plate Structures are economical over long spans that need to be free of internal columns as Folded Plate Structures have an intrinsic rigidity and high load-carrying capacity than other structures.
Folded Plate Roof Construction Details:
- The construction details of Folded Plate Roof are first, precast prestressed folded plate roof elements are casted on a flat surface with hinges between each panel.
- Then the Folded Plate Roof elements are transported flat and then opened to the desired angle during erection on the construction sites.
- Then the joints are connected and cast in place to unify the structure.
- This construction method and design rationale was developed in China and now being widely used in Honduras for both public buildings and industrial buildings.
Folded Plate Staircase:
- In modern construction of buildings Folded Plate Staircase are used as they have a thin and sleek structure.
- Though Folded Plate Staircase looks good they are expensive compare to other categories of staircases due to the additional cost of centering and alignment of the framework.
- During the construction process of Folded Plate Staircase right amount of counterweight is needed for the stability of the structure.
- Now a day’s folded plate staircase runs alongside an exposed wall to connect the two floors of a building.
What Are Folded Plate Roofs?
Folded Plate Roofs are a type of folded plate structure that is chosen for their durability and high weight-bearing capacity.
Folded Plate Roofs are easy to assemble as they consist of flat slabs or plates that are inclined in different directions and they are joined along their edges at the top.
In Germany in the 1920s the first Folded Plate Roofs were used in construction of mainly very large factory buildings such as coal bunkers.
In United States in the 1930s the technology of Folded Plate Roofs were used in the construction of warehouses and it quickly became the preferred roofing solution for really large commercial and industrial buildings.
Types of Folded Plate
Types of Folded Plate are the following.
- Prismatic: Rectangular plates.
- Pyramidal: Non-rectangular plates.
- Prismoidal: Triangular or trapezoidal plates.