Table of Contents
Introduction of Undercoat
- Paint plays a crucial role in the appearance of the structure. Paint also protects the structure from the external agencies.
- Painting enhances the aesthetical view of the structure. It is very necessary that the painting of the home should be done properly because it helps to maintain the overall condition of the structure and protect it from the moisture and steel components.
- In this article, we will learn about What is an undercoat, functions of undercoat and how to apply the Undercoat.
What Is Undercoat?
Undercoat paint is a layer which is applied on the surface after priming and before painting the surface. The undercoat is the second stage of painting which is applied to the coat of primer.
There are different types of undercoat which are used on various surfaces such as metal, wood and plastic board. Undercoat paint is the second stage of application of coat on the surface of the wall.
Undercoat paint protects from the external elements and helps to achieve a uniform base for the application of topcoat on the surface.
What Does Undercoat Paint Do?
There are many advantages to using undercoat paint. The process of applying undercoat paint helps to achieve the best painting results when the surface is properly prepared.
The Undercoat paint helps to protect the surface by providing a protective film to the base. Undercoat protects from external elements such as moisture and aggressive environmental conditions.
The undercoat ensures the even coverage on the surface which will help to achieve uniform paint on the surface. All the uneven space or the spots are covered by applying undercoat paint.
The undercoat is very beneficial to fill the gaps or are voids on the surface and achieve the uniform paint on the surface of the wall.
Why Use Undercoat?
The undercoat is very important to fill the minor imperfections to create a smooth even surface which is ready for the application of the final coat or the topcoat.
It undercoat can be applied to any surface which has to be painted. It is very necessary to use undercoat for the surface because it helps to provide a uniform even surface for the application of the final coat which will give a quality finish to the surface.
Functions of the Undercoat
The functions of undercoat are as follows
- Undercoat paint provides a base that the topcoat will stick to.
- Undercoat provides a good addition to the primer.
- Undercoat provides a pin which will make a barrier to prevent the moisture and other natural elements.
- Undercoat helps to fill out the small imperfections in the of surfaces.
- Undercoat switch are you for the timbers are generally used to provide the filling properties and smoothness to the surface.
Functions of the Primer
- The main function of the primer is to protect the substrate.
- It may also help to provide adhesion to the non-ferrous metals.
- Primers are used to seal the surface and prevent the entry of moisture.
- Primers help to prevent the steel surface from the rusting.
Is Undercoat the Same as the Primer?
- It is the common question which arises in the mind of many people whether undercoat is the same as the primer.
- Here we highlight some of the main points which will clear the whole concept of primer and undercoat.
- The Undercoat and the primer both play a vital role before the application of the paint to the surface. The undercoat and primer are both plays a crucial role in providing a quality finish coat to the surface.
- The word primer derives from the Latin word ‘prim’ which means first. The undercoat and primer both are used to prepare the surface for the painting.
- Primer is the first coat which is used on the bare surfaces while the undercoat is the second coat of the paint which is provided on the wall over the primer.
- Primer gives the paint a good base which will form a strong bond to stick to undercoat and improves the overall appearance.
What Is the Difference Between Primer and Undercoat?
The difference between primer and undercoat are as follows
Primer is the precoat or the first coat which is applied on the surface of the where the painting is to be done. While the undercoat is the second coat which is applied over or the application of primer.
The primer works to hide the stains and helps to prevent the discolouration. Primer is very necessary and important to use when we have to change the colour from dark to the light one.
Primer is used to seal and protect their surfaces such as plaster and wood. The undercoat is used on the surface which is already painted.
The undercoat is the second coat which is provided on the surface before the application of the final coat.
Undercoat paint is a subset of the primer. The Thumb Rule which is generally used is that if the surface is new then we have to use a primer to paint that surface.
If the painting has to be done on the old surface which is already painted then apply the undercoat on that surface.
The primer cannot be used as the last coat on the surface, but the undercoat can be used as the last coat on the surface of the wall.
How Many Coats of Undercoat?
The process of the application of the Undercoat is as follows
Step 1: To achieve the quality finish to the surface, it is very important to prepare the surface properly before the application. The surface should be scrap with the help of sandpaper creasing the uneven elevations.
Step 2: Clean the surface properly and remove the dust and moisture.
Step 3: After the process of scraping and cleaning of the surface the primer is applied on the surface where the paint how to be done.
Step 4: After the surface will be completely clean and dried apply the undercoat.
Step 5: Now applied the final coat of the paint to the surface.