Table of Contents
What Do You Mean by Skeleton Frame?
A skeleton frame is a framed structure often used for the construction of multi-story buildings. It incorporates a network, or system, of columns and connecting beams that support the building’s interior floors and exterior walls and carries all loads to the foundations.
There are different types of framed structures that are used in civil construction; among projects, among them, the most commonly used frame structure is a skeleton frame.
A Frame structure where a connection of columns and beams that support the civil structure is incorporated is known as Skeleton Frame.
The materials used for the construction of Skeleton frames can be timber, bamboo, steel, and even concrete.
The first time skeleton frame was used in construction was at the end of the 19th century and the start of the 20th After which skeleton frames were used in the rapid construction of civil projects, buildings, and skyscrapers.
The use of Skeleton Frame helped us in constructing interior floor layouts which can be free of immovable walls.
This led to the development of using different materials for the construction of facades and giving them more flexible spaces.
Using a Skeleton Frame had led to reducing the importance of masonry in civil construction. Masonry, which was used as a structural element, has taken a decorative role due to the use of the Skeleton frame.
What Is Building Skeleton?
A building skeleton is a steel frame that is built to support a large skyscraper or building. A building skeleton is made out of metal beams forming vertical columns crossed with steel girders for stability.
Building skeleton structures are formed by riveting together steel support beams and girders. The new floor is signaled where the horizontal beam meats the vertical columns.
Using building skeletons in construction gives you more advantages and benefits than ordinary construction.
What Is Steel Structure Building?
There are many types of structural techniques used when the construction of a building. When vertical sheet columns and horizontal I-beams of Steel are used as skeleton frames, the building is known as a steel structure building.
These columns and beams support the floors and transfer the weight of the whole building to its foundation.
The development of steel structure building techniques from the early 19th century to the late 20th century made the construction of tall buildings and skyscrapers possible.
The most common material used for steel structure building construction is a type of steel called mild steel. Mild steel which is used as the material is solid due to its chemical composition.
The important feature of steel structure building is its flexibility because of the use of mild steel.
Mild steel can bend without cracking due to its molecular arrangements, which is another great advantage, as a steel structure building can flex when heavy force is applied to one side of the building due to wind or an earthquake.
Also Read: Steel Is Most Trusted TMT Bar in India?
What Is Steel Frame Construction?
Steel frame construction is a durable and reliable method of construction that is used in many civil construction projects.
Steel frame construction is a very cost-effective and sustainable option for low-rise, mid-rise, and high-rise building projects.
A building frame system where the vertical and horizontal structural elements are formed by a system of structural steel beams and columns is referred to as Steel Frame Construction.
Steel frame construction is typically designed, fabricated, and erected in accordance with standards developed by the American Institute of steel construction in the United States and the Canadian Standards Association in Canada.
Use of Steel Frame Structures
- High-rise buildings because of their strength, low weight, and speed of construction.
- Public buildings and Malls because of their ability to create large-span spaces at low cost.
- Warehouse buildings because of their strength and their ability to create large-span spaces.
- Residential buildings due to a technique called light gauge steel construction.
Types of Steel Building Construction
Steel building construction has various types which are used in appropriate construction requirements. Steel fabrication is another term for steel construction.
- Conventional Steel Fabrication.
- Bolted Steel Fabrication.
- Light Gauge Steel Construction.
Also Read: 22 Types of Beams | Standard Size of Beams
What Is Steel Beam Construction?
Steel beam construction is the type of construction where steel beams are used for the construction of roof structures and house frames, to secure the structure from harsh weather conditions.
A popular and versatile construction material that is used in steel beam construction is Mild Steel. Constructions of skyscrapers and high-rise buildings have been possible due to their strong, flexible, and durable nature.
Structural steel which is an important component in steel beam construction is meant for supporting heavy loads.
This steel product comes in various shapes and sizes from small pieces to large sheets and is used as per the requirement of the civil structure.
Advantages of Steel Beam Construction
- Structural steel that is used in Steel Beam Construction is recyclable, unlike many other construction materials.
- Structural steel used in making steel beams has a high strength-to-weight ratio, making it quite durable.
- Structural steel that is used in Steel Beam Constructions has high life expectancy than construction materials such as wood because wood is likely to get rotten faster.
- The chemical composition of steel beams used in Steel Beam Construction makes them resistant to corrosion. It prevents them from causing internal damage that may otherwise affect the durability of the structure.
Advantages of Steel Frame
- Structural steel components that are used in steel frames are lighter, stronger, and have more tensile strength than wood, bamboo, or concrete products.
- Steel frame construction is far stronger and more durable than traditional wood frame alternatives due to their molecular properties and arrangements.
- Steel studs that are used in steel frames are available in a variety of sizes and can be fabricated in order. This means the steel studs can be cut, bolted, and welded to bear the required loads in buildings of all different types and sizes.
- Steel frame constructions are highly resistant to fire, because the steel components which are made up of metal, reduce the fire risk to a civil structure and stop the spread of a fire.
- Special flame retardant coatings can be applied over steel frames to increase the fire resistance property of structural steel.
- Mild steel parts that are used in steel frames are immune to the degrading effects of insects and mammals that tend to burrow or dug into the structures, which causes a problem for the wooden framework.
Disadvantages of Steel Frame
- Steel components that are used in steel frames are not known for their warmth, due to their high efficiency in conducting heat.
- One of the benefits of using bamboo or wooden frames and structural components is their ability to adjust them on-site like cutting them down to size, having nails hammered in them to strengthen the joint, and so on.
- This obviously can’t happen with steel that is used in steel frames.
- Steel components used in steel frames are an alloy of iron which makes them susceptible to corrosion.
- Steel components used in steel frames have high maintenance costs because, in order to prevent them from corrosion and structural damage to the structure, painting is done on the steel surface after a certain interval of time.