Introduction of WPC Board Vs. Plywood
The Interior of the structure plays a vital role in improving the aesthetical value of your home. So it is very important that you should choose one of the best materials for the interiors.
There are various materials available in the market for the Interior design of the home or office. It is very difficult to decide which material we should choose between the WPC Board and Plywood.
WPC Board and Plywood are one of two common names which you definitely hear from the interior designer when you are doing interior designing of your home.
In this article, we will go through the complete comparison between the WPC boards Vs. Plywood so that you can choose the best one for the interior design of your home or office.
What Is WPC Board?
The Full form of the WPC boards is Wood Plastic composites. Its name itself says its meaning that it is a composite material that is made from wood, fiber, and thermoplastic.
The WPC boards are manufactured from grounded sawdust, which is mixed and heated thoroughly by adding resins and additives in it. The proportion of the recycled plastic in the WPC board is about 75%, sawdust is about 15%, and the remaining is the additives.
WPC boards have good resistance to moisture because of the presence of a high amount of plastic in them. The plastic makes it completely waterproof and does not allow water to penetrate it.
What Is Plywood?
Plywood is basically a sheet or board which is made from fine layers of wood veneers that are attached together, placing wood grains at an angle of 90 degrees.
There are various types of Plywoods available in the market, such as hardwood plywood, softwood plywood, Flexible plywood, decorative plywood, etc.
WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Comparison
1. WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Definition
WPC Board: WPC is a highly durable and secure material used for construction purposes. It is a blend of wood fiber wood flour and thermoplastics. The WPC boards are also prepared from inorganic fillers and plastic composites. Wood-plastic composite is also used as a strong and high-end flooring option.
Plywood: Plywood is manufactured from softwoods (such as Douglas fir, pine, and redwood), hardwoods (such as ash, maple, and mahogany), or a combination of both. The timber used to make plywood is prepared by steaming or dipping it in hot water. It is then peeled into thin plies of between 1-4 mm by a lathe machine.
2. WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Moisture Resistant and Termite Resistant Qualities
WPC Board: WPC is a Mixture of sawdust and plastics. They are a hundred percent water-resistant and termite-proof material.
Plywood: Plywood surface is very hard and delivers superior water-resistant qualities. They are made from tropical hardwood veneers and jointed using water-resistant adhesive. Marine ply is further treated with preservatives and protective finishes to enhance water and termite-resistant qualities.
3. WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Fire Resistant and Heat Resistance
WPC Board: WPC does not burn with flames due to the presence of plastic material and special additives. WPC is a polymer-based material and does not catch fire.
Plywood: Plywood burns with flame and is more suspectable to heat.
4. WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Screw Holding Capacity
WPC Board: Screw holding capacity of WPC depends on the density of the materials. For a competitive screw holding capacity, WPC boards should possess a density of 600kg/cm3.
Plywood: Due to the cross-layered arrangement of veneers, plywood possesses extremely good screw-holding capacities. It may not come out from the hinges easily.
5. WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Eco-friendly Qualities
Plywood: Plywood veneers are from cutting trees and are not environmentally friendly. The manufacturing of plywood will result in deforestation.
WPC Board: WPC is made from wood waste, sawdust, recycled plastics, etc., and consumes industrial wastes and converts it into usable materials. WPC manufacturing does not generate any wastage, nor are any trees cut in this process, and it is an environmentally friendly material.
6. WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Workability
Plywood: Plywood can be easily bent without affecting its strength. But planning and molding are not possible like Wood and WPC due to cross-layered arrangement.
WPC Board: WPC got the combined properties of plastic and wood and hence is more flexible than plywood and can be thermoformed to any shape. They can also be molded, planned, and grooved, exactly like wood.
7. WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Durability
Plywood: The durability of plywood depends on the grade which is being used and the area of application. Plywood is durable but has to be maintained properly. Some plywood grades may split or splinter in the course of time.
WPC Board: WPC is an extremely durable material and is long-lasting. WPC always comes with a lifetime guarantee from major manufacturers, whereas plywood quality determines durability and life.
Because of the presence of a lot of plywood manufacturers, the qualities may be compromised. BWR grade- IS 303 GRADE plywood is sold to the customer in place of Marine ply in most cases. Ensure that the materials are purchased from the reputed manufacturer with proper test certificates.
8. WPC Board Vs. Plywood: Advantages
Advantages of WPC Boards
- The advantages of the WPC boards are as follows
- The WPC boards are completely waterproof and have good resistance to termite attack.
- The WPC boards can be molded into any shape and size as per your requirement of the design.
- It does not undergo decay and has a good resistance to rot.
- WPC is an eco-friendly material that does not cause any harm to the environment.
- WPC is more durable and mostly comes with a lifetime guarantee from various branded manufacturers.
Advantages of Plywood
- The various advantages of plywood are as follows
- Plywood offers good stability, and it has enhanced properties.
- Plywood has high impact resistance.
- Plywood has a more strength-to-weight ratio.
- Plywood does not corrode, and it has good chemical resistance.
- Plywood can be easily polished or painted, and it has a smooth surface.
- Plywood has good resistance to shrinkage and warping.
9. WPC Board Vs Plywood: Disadvantages
Disadvantages of WPC Boards
- There are also some disadvantages of the WPC boards, which are as follows
- The WPC Boards are a little bit expensive as compared to other types of boards.
- The resistance of the Wood plastic composite boards is low to extreme temperatures.
- WPC board lacks the natural texture of wood, due to which it does not give a natural wood feeling.
Disadvantages of Plywood
- The various disadvantages of plywood are as follows
- Plywood has less resistance to moisture.
- There are chances of decay and disintegration of the plywood.
- It is very necessary to paint the surface of the plywood. Otherwise, it is peeled off.
- Plywoods are not flexible to bent or mold in the desired shape.
Difference Between WPC Board and Plywood [Table Format]
|1||WPC boards are made from a mixture of sawdust, recycled plastic, thermoplastics, and fibers.||Plywood is made from a thin layer of wood veneer whose layers are rotated at 90 degrees to one another.|
|2||WPC Boards are 100% waterproof and do not allow moisture to penetrate them.||Plywood does not have good resistance to moisture as compared to the WPC boards.|
|3||WPC boards are fire-resistant; they can be used in fire-prone areas.||Plywoods are not fire-resistant; they will spread fire so that they cannot be used in Fire prone areas.|
|4||WPC boards do not corrode, and they have high resistance to decay and rot.||Plywoods may undergo problems of decay and rot.|
|5||In the WPC boards, there is a lack of natural feeling and the appearance of the wood.||The plywood is made from natural wood, due to which it has a natural wood appearance.|
|6||The WPC boards are more expensive as compared to the plywood.||The Plywoods are less expensive as compared to WPC boards.|
|7||WPC boards have a higher load-bearing capacity.||Plywood has a lower load-bearing capacity as compared to WPC boards.|
|8||WPC Boards do not require any application of paint or laminate on the surface.||In the case of plywood, it is very necessary to apply paint or laminate to make its surface smooth.|
|9||Wood-plastic boards are more durable and long-lasting compared to plywood.||The durability of plywood mainly depends on its grade.|
|10||WPC boards are eco-friendly materials; no trees are fallen for making WPC boards.||Plywood is not eco-friendly because it is made by cutting trees.|
|11||The screw holding capacity of WPC boards is less compared to plywood.||Plywood has a good screw holding capacity because of the presence of cross-layered veneers.|
|12||The cost of WPC Boards ranges from $1.66 to $2.0 per square foot. The cost varies as per the quality of the boards.||The cost of plywood ranges from $1.11 to $1.80 per square foot as per the grade of the plywood.|
Conclusion of WPC Board Vs. Plywood
The WPC boards are one of the popular materials which are commonly used in Interior work. WPC( Wood plastic boards) are eco-friendly, durable, and long-lasting as compared to plywood.
But the WPC board does not give the natural wood experience. If you are a nature lover and want materials that will improve the natural experience of the interior, then Plywood will be the best option for you.