Table of Contents
What Is Turbidity of Water?
Turbidity of water is a property of water or liquid by which we can measure the relative clarity of a liquid. The turbidity of water is an optical characteristic of liquid and is a measurement of light reflected through the materials, which are present in the water.
In simple words we can say that turbidity is a determining technique of haziness or cloudiness presence in a water sample.
By this technique we can determine the difference between muddy river water vs tap water.
When we examine the waters we can see the muddy water is brown color and presence high turbidity, on the other hand in tap water is colorless and it has very low turbidity.
Turbidity of Water Test
When water contains material of suspense inside it, then it is called turbide water. The turbid is generally made of algae or other organic material, which is measured when the visible materials are suspended in water.
The turbide is a part of clay or silt. The character and amount of turbidity depend on two factors, one is velocity of water and another is the type of soil on which the water flows. The procedure of turbidity of water test is described below –
- For the turbidity of water test many types of apparatus are need that are, nephelo turbidity meter, beakers, glass tubes etc.
Also Read: All About Drywall Water Damage Repair
Useful Article for You
- What Is a Highway Flyover
- What Is Grouting
- What Is a Pile Cap
- What Is a Bond Beam in Masonry
- What Is Sapwood
- What Is Crane
- What Is a Gable
- What Is Superelevation
- What Is Kerb
- What Is the Purpose of Washers
- What Is the Size of a Brick in Inches
- What Is Reinforced Masonry
- What Is Workability
- What Is Bond Breaker
- What Is Plasticizer in Concrete
- What Is Luminous Flux Vs Lumens
- What Is Caisson
- What Is an Undercoat
- What Is a Benchmark Surveying
- What Is Bracing in Construction
- What Is a Beam in Construction
- What Is the Standard Door Frame Size
- What Is a Spandrel Beam
- What Is a Fire Escape
- What Is a Weep Hole
- What Is Tie Beam
- What Is Fine Aggregate
- What Is Pony Wall
- What Is Flag Stone
- What Is Development Length
- What Is Cement Plaster
- What Is a Pitched Roof
Procedure of Turbidity of Water Test
Here, we are going for a water turbidity test. We have divided this test into two parts as follows and let us know in detail.
1. Calibration of Nephelometer
- At first, we have to select the correct range of NTU on the nephelometer.
- After that, we have to fill distilled water on a test tube and set the nephelometer at a zero reading by a knob which is provided for zero setting.
- Next 40 NTU of standard solution is poured in the test tube and set the nephelometer reading at 40 NTU by using a calibration
2. Determination of Turbidity of Sample Water
- Before analysis it should keep in mind the sample temperature must come at room temperature.
- After this, we have to mix the sample thoroughly to the disperse solid and wait until the bubbles are out of the mixture.
- After removing the bubbles from the mixture we have to pour the water into the test tube.
- If the turbidity is more than 100 NTU, use a cell rise to get the turbidity duration factor.
- After doing the above actions we can see the turbine value on the turbidity meter and note down the value.
Application of Turbidity of Water Test Data
There are many types of applications of turbidity of water test data, which are below
- The turbidity test is one of the most important tests of water for a water supply because by this test we can know which treatment and how is best for those water.
- By estimating the turbidity of filtered water we can find if there is any fault in the filter.
- By measurement of wastewater turbidity, we can know how the quantity of suspended solid water should be removed from the water.
- From the turbidity information, we can know how more doses and chemicals should me added for filter the supply water.