Table of Contents
Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
By the specific gravity test on bitumen, we are determining the bitumen specific gravity which is one of the important properties of bitumen.
This specific gravity of bitumen test helps in understanding the sp gravity of bitumen.
Used for pavement construction is the classification of bitumen binders that can therefore be used.
The source of the bitumen binder can also help in identifying. In the bitumen specimen, the presence of the mineral impurities can also help in pointing out.
If the mineral impurities quantity is more, then the value of specific gravity will increase.
From the bitumen binder during the extraction of impurities, it is very important.
Instead of weight sometimes the volume of bitumen is specified, Presenting asphalt concrete mix design.
Useful Article for You
- What Is a Highway Flyover
- What Is Grouting
- What Is a Pile Cap
- What Is a Bond Beam in Masonry
- What Is Sapwood
- What Is Crane
- What Is a Gable
- What Is Superelevation
- What Is Kerb
- What Is the Purpose of Washers
- What Is the Size of a Brick in Inches
- What Is Reinforced Masonry
- What Is Workability
- What Is Bond Breaker
- What Is Plasticizer in Concrete
- What Is Luminous Flux Vs Lumens
- What Is Caisson
- What Is an Undercoat
- What Is a Benchmark Surveying
- What Is Bracing in Construction
- What Is a Beam in Construction
- What Is the Standard Door Frame Size
- What Is a Spandrel Beam
- What Is a Fire Escape
- What Is a Weep Hole
- What Is Tie Beam
- What Is Fine Aggregate
- What Is Pony Wall
- What Is Flag Stone
- What Is Development Length
- What Is Cement Plaster
- What Is a Pitched Roof
- What Is a Slab in Construction
- What Is a Monolithic Slab
- What Is Linear Distance
- What Is Shovel
- What Is Lintel in Construction
- What Is a Concept Sketch
- What Is Mezzanine Floor
- What Is Man Sand
- What Is Plaster Made Out of
- What Is a Floating Slab
- What Is Falsework
- What Is Bituminous
- What Is a Spillway
- What Is Curb and Gutter
- What Is Dampness
- What Is Lap Length
- What Is the Full Form of Fsi
- What Is Door Frame
- What Is Plinth Protection
- What Is Traffic Rotary
- What Is Grade Slab
- What Is Inverted Beam
- What Is Rolling Margin of Steel
- What Is Modulus of Rupture
- What Is Fresh Concrete
- What Is Dpc in Construction
- What Is Earthen Dam
- What Is Plum Concrete
- What Is Shell Structure.
- What Is Lumber
- What Is the Strongest Foundation for a House
Apparatus OF Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
For specific gravity tests of bitumen following are the instruments and apparatus used-
1. Specific Gravity Bottles
In this test, the bottles are used that are called wide-mouthed capillary type-specific gravity bottles.
Whose neck diameter is 6 mm, that is called Ordinary capillary type-specific gravity bottles.
In this ordinary capillary type-specific gravity bottle the materials are used that remain absolute fluid at 25 °C temperature.
Whose neck diameter is 25 mm, which is called a wide-mouthed capillary type-specific gravity bottle.
In this ordinary capillary type-specific gravity bottle, the materials are used that remain highly viscous or semi-solid at 25 °C temperature.
The stopper is centrally located concerning the vertical axis. Its diameter is varying 1-2 mm.
It is plain and smooth at the top and the lower surface is kept concave to escape from the bore to allow the air.
At the center, the height of the concave surface is varying 4.0-6.0 mm.
3. Constant Temperature Bath
With 0.2 °C accuracies, the constant temperature bath should be maintained at the given temperature.
That of pycnometer bottles, the depth should be greater than.
4. Bath Thermometer
For the measure of the temperature of water in the ductility apparatus bath thermometer is used.
The range must be between 0 to 44 °C. The least count should be 0.1 °C
5. Other Apparatus
And the Other Apparatus That’s Being Used Is Below:
- Electronic balance
- Heating oven
Useful Article for You
- How Wide Is a Cinder Block
- How Much Is a Coffered Ceiling
- How to Make Mortar
- How Long Does Hempcrete Last
- How to Use a Hand Sight Level
- How to Construction
- How to Build a Lean to Roof
- How Are Tunnels Built
- How to Layout a Building
- How Wide Is a Car Parking Space
- How Do Shear Walls Work
- How to Measure Concrete Slump
- How Are Bridge Foundations Built
- How to Use Washers with Screws
- How Dense Is Sand
- How High Is a Window from the Floor
- How to Fix Spalling Concrete Foundation
- How Does a Beam Bridge Work
- How Do They Pour Concrete Under Water
- How Does a Sewer System Work
- How High Are Countertops
- How to Seal Brick Wall Interior
- How to Resurface Cement
- How to Use Portland Cement
- How Is Plaster Made
- How to Find Fineness Modulus
- How to Get Rid of Spray Paint Smell on Metal
- How Many Types of Slope Are There
- How Big Is a Stair Landing
- How Does Rebar Help Concrete
- How to Get Paint Off Concrete Without Chemicals
- How to Fix Water Damaged Drywall
- How Much to Get Septic Pumped
- How to Cut a Nail or Screw
- How Long Does Wet Concrete Take to Dry
- How Is Varnish Made
- How Does Ejector Pump Work
- How Does Hydrometer Work
- How to Get Wet Blood Out of Carpet
- How to Build House on Slope
- How Thick Is Plaster Wall
- How Suspension Bridges Work
- How to Seal a Concrete Roof
- How Was Cement Invented
- How to Calculate Area of Steel
- How to Check Silt Content in Sand
- How a Building Is Constructed
- How Are Roads Classified in India
- How Many Types of Cement in India
- How to Find Contour Interval
- How to Stop Leakage from Ceiling
- How Hardness of Brick Is Tested
- How Many Types of Paint Brushes Are There
- How to Calculate Skirting Area
- How Many Types of Beam
- How to Make Road
- How Many Types of Chain in Surveying
- How to Calculate Weight of Steel Bar
- How to Find One Way and Two Way Slab
- How to Tell If a Basement Wall Is Load Bearing
Procedure of Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
- At first, when conducting the specific gravity test for bitumen, clean the specific gravity bottles and weigh them along with the stopper after they are dried. Note down this weight reading as And then one of the bottles was filled with distilled water and put on the stopper. Before filling the water should be cleanly boiled and cooled.
- After that minimum at 27 ± 0.1 °C and for at least 30 minutes in a beaker of distilled water up to its neck place the bottle on submerged. or at which any other temperature specific gravity is to be determined and can be maintained.
- With a dry cloth on the outside of the bottle clean the surplus moisture after Remove the bottles from the water bath. Again, measure the weight reading of the bottle. Note down this weight reading as After taking the weight reading the bottle should be dry again.
- By the application of heat carefully bring the bitumen specimen to a fluid state so that the material does not evaporate. After the step slightly warm the specific gravity bottle. Until half, into the dry and clean specific gravity bottle, pour the bituminous sample. Ensure that with the sides of the bottle the material does not come in contact.
- With the neck of the bottle, A small funnel can be used for pouring the materials which prevent the material from coming in contact. If there have any air bubbles the partly filled bottle to stand at 60-70 temperature so that the entrapped can escape.
- Up to the specified temperature allow the bottle to cool and weigh it. Note down this weight reading as Fill the bottle with freshly boiled distilled water that containing asphalt and loosely place the stopper. We should care that how to we can prevent air bubbles in the bottle.
- We need to attach the stopper firmly for at least 30 minutes and place the specific gravity bottle in the water bath. With a dry cloth on the outside of the bottle clean the surplus moisture after Remove the bottles from the water bath. At last measure, the weight reading of the bottle again and note down this weight reading as
Result of Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
Using the specific gravity of bitumen formula, the specific gravity of the specimen is recorded as the ratio of the mass of an equal volume of distilled water to the mass of the specimen.
Within the range, the specific gravity of bitumen falls – 0.97 to 1.02 at 27 °C.
By Bureau of Indian Standard, the minimum specific gravity values standardized for Paving Bitumen at 27 °C for different grades that are given below:
Grade of Bitumen
|A – 25||0.99|
|A – 35||0.99|
|A – 45||0.99|
|A – 65||0.99|
|S – 35||0.99|
|S – 65||0.99|
|A – 90||0.98|
|S – 90||0.98|
|A – 200||0.97|
|S – 200||0.97|
Conclusion of Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
By understanding the specific gravity of asphalt and specific gravity of tar, and by performing the specific gravity test, we can determine if the given bitumen sample meets the specification requirements as given in the specific gravity of bitumen is code.
By the compared to the standard value the specific gravity found out of the practical and thus the specific gravity criteria can be concluded whether the sample meets for the given grade of bitumen.